The Spinoza Trilogy - J.R. Rain

The Spinoza Trilogy - J.R. Rain

Back when I read these the first book was free. A lot of J.R. Rain's books go on special constantly so if you just wait or look around long enough you can usually find some of them for free. Or at least you used to be able to. I then bought the last two books in a bundle deal which is no longer for sale so I've decided to combine all of my reviews and just post the Spinoza Trilogy in it's entirety along with a link to The Spinoza Trilogy which is probably a much cheaper way to get the series if you're interested. This was a great series and I'd still recommend it to this day.

Original Review for The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo and The Vampire Who Played Dead (Spinoza For Hire aka Spinoza Trilogy #1-2)

Ahh, what can I say. J.R. Rain knows how to tell a story and I found Spinoza's tales to be top notch and some of his best work, equal to his Vampire for Hire series. Spinoza is a tortured man with a painful past. Now he spends his time as a private investigator who specializes in finding missing people: mainly missing children.

In the first book we find out about Spinoza's past and his alcoholism which led him to where he is now. He's a truly tortured person, is extremely shy which isn't very helpful for social situations yet he pushes himself each day to do what he does best in order to make up for the wrongs he has committed. Spinoza is hired by the guardians of Veronica Fortune who also happens to have a tortured past. One day she showed up at the people who would become her guardians house covered in blood and scared. She never talks much about her past and she disappears for days at a time and they love her so never report her to the authorities for fear she'll leave. She disappeared almost a week ago but more importantly her guardians tell Spinoza that she is a vampire slayer and although he doesn't believe in vampires he doesn't think they're crazy either. The few friends of Veronica all give him the same story and while tracking her down and solving this mystery he runs into things that will forever change how he thinks about the world.

In book two a young teenager hires Spinoza (for two tacos) to help find the remains of his birth mom which disappeared from her casket. His birth mom left him a very sizable inheritance and he needs her corpse to prove he is her son through DNA. Mainly he just wants to find her body so it can be put back to rest where it belongs. The boy's father is no good and abusive, he lives with his aunt and Spinoza must dig deep to find out what happened to the woman's body. Once again he runs into things that go bump in the night and comes face to face with monsters along with his own personal demons.

These stories are great and J.R. Rain is just pure fun to read. Most of his short stories are close to 70 pages, sometimes longer or a bit shorter but this formula works very well for him. Each story is self contained. Mr. Rain never leaves you at the edge of a cliff hanger. All of his stories wrap up nicely yet have an overall story arc through each book. If you haven't read The Vampire in the Iron Mask then I highly suggest doing so. It brings closure to the series and to Spinoza himself. J.R. Rain has quickly become one of my favorite authors and his books are one of my biggest "guilty pleasures" in life. I haven't read everything he's written but I'm working on it and so far I've enjoyed everything I have read, especially The Vampire for Hire series. I hope Veronica an Natassa will make a guest appearance there soon. I also cannot wait for their own series.

Original Review for The Vampire in the Iron Mask (Spinoza for Hire aka The Spinoza Trilogy #3)

And so the Spinoza series comes to a conclusion. Right next to The Vampire for Hire series this one is my favorite. These books were just so much fun to read! J.R. Rain knows how to tell a good story and how to wrap things up nicely while still leaving room for the future in case he ever wants to revisit these characters. This book was excellent and practically brought tears to my eye's.

For the third and final volume in the Spinoza Trilogy, Spinoza is hired to look into a missing person who may be being held against their will at a Medieval Times like place. Every day during their show someone is wheeled out in a Hannibal Lecter type cage and then wheeled back in and down an elevator. The worker who hired Spinoza has never seen this “actor” before. Nobody knows who it is and nobody seems to want to talk about what may or may not be in the basement. So Spinoza does what he does best and along the way he runs into an old friend who he saved his life in the first book. Together they work to unravel the mystery of the person in the Iron Mask and in the process must face a growing evil and all the while one constant question remains. Is the thing in the Iron Mask there for a reason? Is it good or evil? You'll just have to read to find out the answer to those questions.

I love how characters from his other series make guest appearances which happens in most of his books. In each book we get a chance to visit with our other favorite characters such as Jim Knighthorse, Elvis and even a mention of Samantha Moon. It’s these fun little things along with the awesome stories and his great sense of humor which always keeps me coming back for more. I loved every minute of this book and hope to see Veronica and Natassa in their own series or maybe even show up in the Vampire for Hire books.

All in all one of his best series to date!