Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare

The Infernal Devices especially this last book: Clockwork Princess have given me a whole new appreciation for the Mortal Instruments. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the first series a lot - it's definitely a 5 star rating but the Infernal Devices trilogy was just simply spectacular. All of my main questions were answered and this series made me understand the motives and personalities of all the characters in the Mortal Instruments so much better. I now completely understand why Magnus Bane helped Jace and Clary along with all the other Shadowhunters. I really liked Magnus Bane in the first books but now that I know and understand his motives even more he's become one of my favorite characters. Cassandra Clare is growing as an author and her books just seem to get better and better. The relationship between Will, Jem and Tessa was extremely deep. These characters are not carbon copies of the first series at all. They have their own personalities, tragedies, loves and problems. I was sucked into this book alongside it's characters and laughed and cried with them. This series in my opinion ranks at the top of my favorites list alongside the likes of A Wizard of Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Leguin, The War of the Fae/Clash of the Otherworlds by Elle Casey and the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman.

I knew going into it that this was going to be a tragic tale but the way in which events happened took me by complete surprise. There were some stunning twists and turns that I never saw coming and I was very relieved and satisfied with the way this series ended. I'm also hopeful that we'll be seeing some of the characters in the last book of the Mortal Instruments. I think I'm going to have to go back and read the Mortal Instruments (It's been a while since I've read them) so I can see how everyone is related. Unfortunately the Kindle version didn't come with the family tree which is kinda a good thing since it would have spoiled the story for me, but now that I finished the book I'd love to look at it. I would love to talk about everything that happened and the characters but don't want to spoil anything. Although I do have to say that I hope the Shadowhunter's nowaday's finally recognize Henry's genius. He might have been absentminded but his contributions to the Shadowhunters are huge. Some of his devices are used to this day and I hope his genius is mentioned in City of Heavenly Fire. I also noticed that Casandra Clare plans on publishing some smaller stories about Magnus Bane and other characters. Ones called "What really happened in Peru" (The Bane Chronicles) More Magnus Bane? Yes please! I cannot wait to read it. I don't think there will ever be such a thing as too much Magnus Bane for me. Do yourself a favor and read the Mortal Instruments then the Infernal Devices. You'll enjoy both series so much more after reading them together. Now I cannot wait for City of Heavenly Fire to come out. I so hope a certain someone (or somebody's) shows up in that book. Sigh, I'll be living in this world inside my head for a long long time to come. And for that this book is priceless.