On Men and thier Health - Something a bit different.

Well today I saw my Doctor and had him look at a mole that's been bothering me.  It looks a little weird and is close to two other moles but while the other two are kind of soft and squishy like most moles this one is hard and a bit scabby feeling.  It's also a bit darker than my other flesh colored moles.  It's been bothering me for a bit, maybe the last month or so, maybe a little longer and although it doesn't exactly hurt it just feels off.  Kind of like a sunburn or something.  Just kind of a hot painful spot but not horribly painful or anything.  Just more of a nuisance.  So he ended up examining it and thinks it could be troublesome.  I'm going to need to make an appointment at the clinic where he works and get it biopsied which brings me to the whole point of this post.  Why didn't I do it the second I noticed it was a bit different?

Yesterday I read this article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/hugh-jackman-treated-skin-cancer-2836569

Hugh Jackman's article is what prompted me to have my doctor look at it today when I went to see him for something unrelated to the mole.  It's been bugging me for at least a month, possibly longer so why did I put it off for this long even though a month is not very long.  Well there's a lot of reasons and just like Hugh Jackman and Samuel L. Jackson said most men just don't talk about their health problems.  If they hurt their leg or something while playing football that's different but normal health problems. Nope, at least not a lot of us do.  I don't want to lump every man in that category though but I'm sure there are more than enough of us who just ignore our problems and hope for the best.

Sure the mole could turn out to be absolutely nothing.  Maybe I picked at it in my sleep and that's why it's bothering me.  But then again it could turn out to be something.  Here's quite a few reasons why I didn't get it checked out earlier and why they're not very good reasons at all:

• Lack of Money and or Insurance:  I just don't have the money and don't have health insurance.  That's not a very good excuse to be honest. I mean let's just say it is something bad then finding it earlier is going to be not only be key in helping to get rid of it but also to keeping health costs down.  So my answer to that is find a way if you can.  Do whatever you have to but if you don't take care of your health then you can't take care of your bills, family, expenses, etc.

• It's Probably Nothing:  Yes it probably (hopefully) is nothing but what if it's not?  What if it is something?  What then?  I don't know a lot about cancer but one thing I do know is that the earlier it's detected the better odds you have so once again, go get yourself checked out.

• I Don't Want To Bother Anyone With My Problems:  That's all well and good if it's something little like I have a headache or I'm feeling a little under the weather but this is your health and your life plus who are you bothering?  It's your doctors job.  That's what they get paid the big bucks for.  It's what they went to school for.  It's not bothering them, it's paying their bills.

• I'll Get It Checked Soon:  How soon?  Next week, next month? Next year?  It could be too late by then.  Just go do it and get it over with which brings me to my last point.

• I'm Afraid Of What I May Find Out:  What's worse?  Living with the fear of what could be every single moment of every single day or dealing with a little bit (well it's more than a little bit but you know what I mean) of fear once when you do the biopsy (which I doubt even hurts) and then when you get a diagnosis.  Just get it over with.  Even if the news is bad at least you are now armed with that knowledge and will have a plan with which to proceed instead of staying in the dark fearing the unknown.

I don't like going to the doctor, I don't like the thought of hospitals. I sure as hell don't like the thought of getting a biopsy and I definitely don't like the thought of bad news but I'd much rather find out and go from there than to keep putting it off.  I only wish I had done it sooner but chances are still very much in our favor.  The odd's of having cancer are actually quite low at least compared to most things in life. P.S. Don't look up those odds, they'll scare the crap out of you.  Actually let me post them because this could help too.

One in 5 Americans and 1 in 3 Caucasians will get skin cancer at some point in their lifetime.  That's just according to one website and I don't want you to take that as gospel because I am too lazy to verify it at the moment lol.

I guess I'm just saying: guys and gals, if you notice something wrong then go and get yourself checked out.  Don't put it off, don't wait for tomorrow.  I'm about to call my Dr. back and make the earliest possible appointment I can to have this done.  I want to get it over with so I can worry about other things.  I hope you will do the same if you ever notice anything weird.  There is plenty enough info out there about cancer, skin cancer and moles.  Just do a google search and you'll find all kinds of warning signs to look for But all the warning signs and information in the world won't do you any good unless you take action.  Like I said it's probably nothing but why take chances with something so important?