The Host: A Novel

The Host - Stephenie Meyer This is one of my all time favorite books ever written. Yes, I enjoyed the Twilight Saga but the Host is just leaps and bounds so much better. It's extremely thought provoking and is really a fascinating portrait of humanity. It's not super action packed, there's no shirtless werewolf/vampire beefcakes running around but it's truly such an amazing book. I've read it twice so far and still not a day goes by that I don't think about it. This book will leave you thinking long after you've finished it. I know alot of people don't like Twilight and think the writing is atrocious but I really don't believe Stephenie Meyer is a bad writer or is bad with English. I think Bella was the one who was bad with English. This book more than proves that Stephenie Meyer not only has a great imagination, can tell a great story but can also write a great story. Maybe she was just holding back on Twilight or maybe it's just one of those things where you grow better as you practice your art. Kinda like sharpening a pencil. Either way the book was a very nice read. All of the characters felt more than real and had such a depth to them. I don't think anyone's ever done the whole pod people thing on this level. Usually you get to see it from the humans perspective and the invaders are evil but with the Host you find yourself in the aliens point of view and not only do you realize that they aren't evil but they're actually very nice. They didn't invade out of malice or anything: it's just what they do. In fact you actually come to see the humans as more barbaric and undeserving of this planet they occupy and then just when you almost dislike them Stephenie Meyer pulls out all the stops and makes you fall in love and like each side.

It's very interesting reading a story from the invaders point of view and that alone would have been great but the aliens Host is still alive and trapped in her own body. I don't believe there's ever been a "love triangle" quite like this. In fact I don't think you could even call it a triangle. I know I'm being vague but I don't want to give anything away. Read the Host. Whether you enjoyed Twilight or not shouldn't matter. This story deserves to be judged on it's own merits and is an awesome thought provoking book. I could go on all day harping about it. Do yourself a favor and read this book. Don't wait for the movie which looks to be more action packed than the acutal book. The real action in the book is the internal dialogue between Wanderer (the invader/soul) and Melanie (her host). Part of me hopes she doesn't write any sequels because it is just such a perfect book even though a part of me wants more. It's a rather large book but by the last 100 pages or so I was wishing it would go on forever. I would have gladly been able to read another 600 pages or so. Great Book!!!