Don't Make Me Beautiful - Elle Casey

Don't Make Me Beautiful - Elle Casey

Beautiful and Inspiring. I loved it!!!

I knew this book was going to be good but the word good is such a huge understatement, this story was....beautiful, amazing, incredible: all of the above and yet even those words fail to capture how great this story was. Ever since Elle Casey first announce Don't Make Me Beautiful I've been looking forward to it, playing out different storyline scenarios in my head and I love the fact that no matter how many times I imagined how this book might possibly turn out, I never even came close. She always takes a story so much further than my imagination can reach and in so many different directions that it never ceases to amaze me. I would really like to talk about the story and share some quotes I saved on my Kindle but I can't. I truly do not want to ruin a moment of this for anyone. I don't even want to post the quotes that really don't give anything away because I feel it could somehow lessen each line for someone and trust me, this is a book where you really need to experience each and every word for yourself. This is a powerfully moving book! The book starts out showing two very different worlds. One world full of hope and dreams and another full of fear and hopelessness. From the very first lines I was sucked in, my heart grew heavy and that sensation only got stronger and stronger. By the end of the book it felt like my heart was turned into glass, shattered into a million pieces, melted down and then remade whole and even better than before.

It pains me to know that there are real monsters out there like this, that anyone has ever had to go through anything even remotely similar to what Nicole went through. Domestic abuse is always a subject that needs more awareness and I applaud Elle Casey for writing such a challenging book with the compassion and respect it deserves. I love the fact that majority of the book concentrated on the healing over the horror and I hope this story will be able to help those who may not feel that they are able to help themselves. Many of us have lived in homes with domestic abuse but much like Nicole we do not have to let it define our lives. I know many people might not be able to understand why anyone would stay in a abusive relationship but it's easy for a sane and healthy mind to judge one that no longer is. Basically people like Nicole are prisoners of war. That's the simplest way to think of it. Words like Stockholm Syndrome cannot even begin to truly describe what goes on in a victimized mind and that is only one form of abusive control, there are many unfortunately. Somewhere along the way it's easy to lose yourself out of fear and pain and when that happens you simply go into survival mode.

I really don't even know what else to say so I'll just say thank you Elle Casey. Judging by the reviews I've read your book has brought others the same hope and joy that I felt. It helps to remind many of us that we are not to blame, that we did nothing wrong and do not/did not deserve to be treated poorly and it also reminds me to be vigilant. To be able to offer that helping hand or that shoulder to lean on if someone ever needs it. Don't be afraid to reach out and help others to or to reach out and ask for help. None of us got to where we are today in life on our own. At some point we all need a helping hand. Thank you Elle Casey.