SPOILER ALERT!

Shine Not Burn - Elle Casey

Shine Not Burn - Elle Casey

Amazing! Steaming, Hot and Incredibly Wild!!!

(Note: This was the first real romance novel I'd ever read.  It was Elle Casey and this book that really got me into romance novels.  How awesome is that?)

Andie's a tough lawyer who doesn't take no for an answer in the courtroom. She's smart and knows exactly what she wants out of life. Growing up she was in a bad situation and had no control over her life nor her destiny and so she came up with the "life plan". A plan that would allow her to gain her freedom and happiness and she's followed that plan to the letter her whole adult life. It got her through college and is on the way to making her a junior partner at her law firm. Her plan includes her career an eventual husband and 2.5 kids by the time she's thirty five. There's only one problem, her boyfriend and hopeful future husband just broke up with her and she has to go to Las Vegas for a bachelorette party for her friend who is getting married so even though her life plan doesn't call for a girls night out she reluctantly gives in. While in Vegas she ends up drinking way too much and meeting the sexiest cowboy she's ever seen in her life (heck, the sexiest man she's ever seen in her life) Her life plan doesn't have any contingency plans for Las Vegas or Mack but what can one night hurt? Surely she's allowed a one night stand just this once. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas or so she thinks. Two years later she's back on plan, a Jr. partner and is about to get married, there's only one little problem. Apparently she's already married to a cowboy named Mack and she has to get him to sign the divorce papers before anyone finds out about it and her life plan goes down the drain.

I'm a huge fan of Elle Casey. She's by far my favorite author and has proven her skill with Young adult, paranormal, adventure and dystopian novels. I've never read a romance novel from her and wasn't sure what to expect even though I knew I was bound to love the characters and I was right, I did love the characters but I also found myself turning the pages just as rapidly as I have all her other books. Once again she puts her unique brand of humor into her characters. There are so many laugh out loud moments you'll literally fall out of your chair if you're not careful. I'm a guy and don't read a lot of romance books, although I've been getting out of my comfort zone and reading different genres and I admire Elle Casey for leaving her comfort zone behind too. Shine Not Burn is just as good if not better than anything she's written before. I'm not a huge fan of reading sex scenes but then again I don't read a lot of steamy books so maybe I'm wrong. Regardless I had a blast with this book. The sex wasn't just thrown in for filler or anything like that, it was there to enhance the story and it did very much so. I've always wondered why women enjoy reading romance books and I get it now. Once again I found myself enjoying every single page, whether it was a steamy scene or a horseback ride with a beautiful backdrop of scenery. I look forward to reading more New Adult Romance books by Elle Casey and can't wait to see what she has in store for us next. If you love to read then you're bound to love this book, it doesn't matter whether you're 20 or 50, a man or a woman, Shine Not Burn manages to transcend both gender and age (18 and over that is) and will deftly strike you straight in the heart much like an arrow shot from Cupid himself.

One of my favorite scenes from the book where Andie is trying to ride a horse:

I yanked on the reins some more, trying to get her to stop, but she wouldn't listen. She just kept going faster the wrong way. "Mack!" I shrieked. "It's broken or something! It's in reverse! It's going in reverse! How do you make it go into drive!"