Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)

Death's Rival  - Faith Hunter ---WARNING---[Minor Spoilers]

I've loved every Jane Yellowrock book so far and Death's Rival is hands down the best in the series. Jane kicks some serious butt in this book. She and Beast did indeed prove that Jane/Beast is not prey! After the final battle I'm pretty sure that the whole Vampire community if not the world now knows that Jane is not to be trifled with.

Alot of good and bad things happen in this book. We are introduced to 2 new characters that work for Jane - Not for Leo or Derrek or anyone else, just Jane. One's an Ex-Ranger and the other is a damn good computer hacker and they form a formidable duo of brawn and brains. We also get to meet a few members of the PsyLed team which Rick Joined and once again Jane has to face a nasty new foe who is more powerful than anything she's taken on so far. The big bad guy is also mysteriously linked to Jane's past which we get to find a bit more about. I've always liked that Jane's past is a mystery with her walking out of the woods alone and naked, unable to speak English at the age of 12 (I think she was 12). Well, we learn a bit more about her past in Death's Rival and finally get to find out whether or not she avenged her father's death. Even though those answers are finally solved we're still left with a bit of mystery such as what happened to her to cause her to be alone as Beast and what caused her to come out of the woods alone, naked and bloody.

The final fight in this book alone is worth the price. It was simply incredible. I also felt this book was alot faster paced than the rest and had alot more action. It was very hectic and chaotic for Jane. Along with all the good things that happened to Jane she also had to face her share of bad things. Something horrible (well, in a way) happens in this book but I don't want to give it away. Also her issues with trust cause her a bit of trouble. How is everything going to work out? I have no idea but can't wait to read more in the next book which is supposed to be out in April (I'm keeping my fingers crossed). I simply cannot wait for more.